Payroll Specialist will lead the compliance, management, and processing of scheduled payrolls for assigned companies, maintain employee records, and perform tasks to support effective and efficient operations of the Human Resource Department. Duties include ensuring the integrity and accuracy of the payroll system and each payroll.
Essential Functions - Payroll
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll-related transactions in compliance with the company policies and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local tax and wage and hour laws, regulations, or guidelines, including payroll tax registrations
- Perform complex analysis of payroll issues and determine root cause and implement reasonable solutions
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion on important matters regarding compliance, compensation programs, taxation and policies
- Complete post payroll audits and reporting, prepare metrics, and provide solutions and best practice improvements
- Follow payroll procedures and adhere to payroll policies. Interprets and evaluates policies and procedures and implements changes for improving the compliance, responsiveness, efficiency, and accuracy of the department
- Ensures proper processing of payroll deductions for taxes, benefits, retirement contributions, and other deductions
- Handle commission calculations and payment processing on an on-demand basis.
- Enters, maintains, and/or processes information in the ADP payroll system, including employees’ compensation data, time and attendance, deductions and withholding, address changes, and other information
- Administration of electronic time clocks (ex: UKG, IPS) and review data for completeness, compliance and accuracy
- Perform 401(k) administration as required per Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor regulations
- Conducts audits of payroll, benefits, or other Human Resource programs and recommends corrective actions and process improvements.
- Complete month end processes and procedures including payroll journal entries for accounting. Work through reconciling differences and account balancing with the accounting team
- Prepares, manages, and processes garnishments, court orders, and payments.
- Assists with audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Takes part in year-end process including preparing, auditing and distributing W-2’s
- Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned, acting as a back-up for other positions as needed, maintaining high levels of accuracy, maintaining a professional demeanor and appropriate levels of confidentiality, and providing excellent customer service.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
3+ years of Payroll or Human Resources experience is preferred. Possession of at least a high school diploma is required and a post-secondary degree or college classes in Accounting or Human Resources is preferred. Demonstrated aptitude for critical thinking, problem-solving, time management skills, strong interpersonal skills, documentation skills, organizational skills and multi-tasking skills are essential. Must be results-orientated and able to work both independently and within a team environment. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite applications. Proficiency in Human Resources databases and sensitivity to confidential information.
Ability to communicate orally in a clear, concise, and effective manner with the customers, account representatives, company representatives, management, staff, and the public in face-to-face, one-on-one and group settings. Ability to use a telephone for communication. Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance at our corporate headquarters. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others. Use office equipment such as a personal computer, copier and facsimile machines. Ability to communicate in writing in a clear, concise and effective manner. Sit or stand for extended time periods. Hearing and vision required to be within normal ranges. Read at, above, and below shoulder height. Occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch. Sufficient manual dexterity required to operate equipment. Normal range of tolerance to household and other types of typical industrial/ construction chemicals and solvents.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Garland Company, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, military status, veteran status, marital status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, citizenship, sexual orientation, age (40 and older), disability (except where the disability prevents the individual from being able to perform the essential functions of the job and cannot be reasonably accommodated) or any other legally protected characteristic under federal, state or local law.
If you have trouble or need assistance in completing the information, please call Jay Hebert at 800-321-9336 ext. 3614.
To access our online application system, please choose one of the following links below:
Applicants in the United States, please click here.
Applicants in Canada, please click here.
Applicants in the United Kingdom, please click here.
Approximate Completion Times:
- Application – 1 Hour